Australian Business Registry Services
Director Identification Number
You need a director identification number (director ID) if you’re a director of company, registered Australian body, registered foreign company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation.
A director identification number (director ID) is a unique identifier you will keep forever. It will help to prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities.
Directors will only ever have one director ID. They’ll keep it forever even if they:
- change companies
- stop being a director
- change their name
- move interstate or overseas.
If you want to become a director or you are already one, you’ll need a director ID. When you need to apply depends on the date you first become a director.
Corporations Act directors
When you must apply for your director ID depends on the date you first become a director.
If you can’t apply by the date you need to, you can complete an Application for an extension of time to apply for a director ID (NAT 75390, PDF 271KB).
|Date you first become a director
|Date you must apply
|On or before 31 October 2021
|By 30 November 2022
|Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022
|Within 28 days of appointment
|From 5 April 2022
To be a director under the Corporations Act, you must:
- be an individual who is at least 18 years old
- not be disqualified from managing corporations, unless the appointment is made with the permission of ASIC or the Court.
- be a member of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation and an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person (unless the corporation’s constitution or rule book says otherwise)
- not be disqualified from managing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation, unless the appointment is made with the permission of the Registrar of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporations or the Court.
Your authorised tax, BAS or ASIC agent can help you decide if you need to apply, but they can’t apply on your behalf.
The fastest way to do ID identification is online using the myGovID app to log in to ABRS online.
If you currently reside outside Australia, you can apply using a paper application form – Application for a director identification number (NAT 75329, PDF 306KB).
In addition to completing the form, you’ll also need to provide certified copies of your documents that verify your identify.